Victor Cruz announced his retirement from the NFL this past Tuesday. The standout Wide Receiver will always be remembered as one of the greatest receivers to don the NY football Giants’ Red and Blue, but his reach exceeded the confines of the gridiron.
Cruz was always a personality on and off the field, because of his confidence as well as his supreme fashion sense. The football star was always on the front lines of fashion, and always willing to snap it up in the freshest threads. Throughout his football career Cruz developed big name relationships with mega-brands and designers like Givenchy’s Riccardo Tisci, Kith’s Ronnie Fieg, and Louis Vuitton’s Virgil Abloh, which has allowed Victor to cruise into the scope of fashion as a front row staple at runway shows, model, celebrity guest, and overall purveyor of style.
In celebration of his illustrious career that will now move to the analyst chair, let’s look at some of Cruz’s best fashion moments.
1. Cruz was hand selected by Riccardo Tisci to be the face of Givenchy during their F/W 2015 campaign. According to Givenchy head designer, Riccardo Tisci, Cruz is “a perfect mix of charisma, power, elegance and beauty.”
2. Cruz attended his first Met Gala, “fashion’s biggest night out,” in 2013 as a member of the New York Giants. Cruz donned a sleek tuxedo by Lanvin.
3. In 2015 Victor Cruz debuted his first-ever signature shoe with Nike dubbed the Nike Air Cruz. It debuted with the “Haystack” colorway on November 20th, 2015. The sneaker features a number of personal details such as quotes from Victor as well as his personal autograph. Victor also had the opportunity to debut his sneaker on the Tonight Show hosted by Jimmy Fallon.
4. In 2015 the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) named Victor Cruz “Ambassador” of the first New York Fashion Week: Men’s.
Ambassador Cred: Super Bowl Champion Victor Cruz has no trouble incorporating style to all aspects of his life, both on and off the field. As an athlete in the public eye, fans clamor to have their pictures taken with him, and he’s always dressed for the occasion with ample style. He’s attended fashion week in Milan, and owns his own clothing line called “Young Whales.” This new ambassador’s football season may be over, but his fashion season is just beginning. via CFDA
5. A frequent attendee of Paris Fashion Week, Cruz was in attendance for Virgil Abloh’s first Louis V runway show, sporting ready-to-wear looks from the collection
6. Victor Cruz and Ronnie Fieg of Kith are great friends because of their love of NY, fashion, and breaking the molds. The streetwear innovator frequently solicits Cruz as a “day one” ambassador/model. Most recently Cruz modeled Kith’s Coca-Cola collab.
7. Cruz collaborated with Scott Morrison’s 3X1 denim brand to release a capsule collection back in 2015. Cruz, being a fan of Japanese denim, made the trip to the far east to learn what goes into making the world-renowned denim goods, further proving his passion for fashion and the work ethic he brings to everything he does.
photo by Mike law